[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Dec 19 15:18:48 PST 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> >    <form action="redirect.cgi">
> >     <menu type="commands">
> >      <menu label="Select site...">
> >       <select name="goto"
> >               onchange="if (this.options[this.selectedIndex].value)
> >                           location = this.options[this.selectedIndex].value">
> >        <option value="" selected="selected"> Select site: </option>
> >        <option value="http://www.apple.com/"> Apple </option>
> >        <option value="http://www.mozilla.org/"> Mozilla </option>
> >        <option value="http://www.opera.com/"> Opera </option>
> >       </select>
> >      </menu>
> >     </menu>
> >    </form>
>
> Ignoring this abuse of select as a navigational menu which would be
> better handled with <a href>, that handles the following cases fine:
>  * Legacy UAs, with script
>  * Legacy UAs, without script
>  * New UAs, with script
>
> But, because the button will be hidden, it doesn't handle new UAs,
> without script.  They'll only be able to select the menu item, but
> nothing will happen.

Good point. (Though I still think scripting being optional is something
that will become less and less realistic as time progresses.)

> The original idea I posted in this thread was that selecting an option
> would implicitly activate the associated submit button and that scripts
> (if supported) could capture the onsubmit event and deal with it
> appropriately. The idea is somewhat like having an implied command
> attribute on the option elements pointing to the submit button.

The problem is determining when a <select> is a real <select> and when it
is one of these "autosubmit" <select>s. (I don't want to add an attribute
or something, because that would be almost legitimising this use.)

> > hides that <option> from the menu.
>
> What semantics does the span have in this case to make it do that?

None. What happens is that the semantics of <menu> are to only look at the
element's direct children (with some fudging around for <li>s). The <span>
is not special inside <menu>, so it (and its children) are ignored by the
menu generation code.

> I think an attribute on the button that says this is the default action
> to be performed when a menu item is selected and that it should not be
> rendered by default would be better.

Hmm. We could do that, true... <button> and <input> have so many
attributes already though... Hmm...

Hmm... how about this?:

    <form action="redirect.cgi">
     <menu type="commands autosubmit"> <!-- <<<< -->
      <menu label="Select site...">
       <select name="goto"
               onchange="if (this.options[this.selectedIndex].value)
                           location = this.options[this.selectedIndex].value">
        <option value="" selected="selected"> Select site: </option>
        <option value="http://www.apple.com/"> Apple </option>
        <option value="http://www.mozilla.org/"> Mozilla </option>
        <option value="http://www.opera.com/"> Opera </option>
       </select>
      </menu>
     </menu>
    </form>

When a command is selected from a menu with type="autosubmit", and that
command has an associated form (i.e. it is an <input>, <button>, or
<option> whose 'form' DOM attribute is not null) then that form's
submission behaviour must be invoked after the command completes.

Top-level (not in menus) <menu> elements then act as follows:

   type="commands":                 treat as toolbar
   type="commands autosubmit":      treat as toolbar, with autosubmit
   type="declare":                  hide
   type="declare autosubmit":       hide, with autosubmit
   other:                           treat as <ul>

When nested, the behaviour depends on the context. In a menu, if there is
a "label" attribute then it creates a submenu. In a toolbar, if there is a
"label" attribute then it creates a menu button. If there is no label
attribute then it is treated as if its contents were there instead of the

In addition, if "type" is either "autosubmit", "declare autosubmit", or
"commands autosubmit", then the submenu/menu part/menu button has the
autosubmit behaviour.