[whatwg] [wf2] maxlength attribute on file causes problems

Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen hallvord at hallvord.com
Tue Dec 27 12:26:08 PST 2005

On 26 Dec 2005 at 15:15, Ian Hickson wrote:

> (I didn't cc the list because you didn't; feel free to reply to the list
> if you want.)

An omission I think I realised a little later and sent a separate
copy to the list. Sorry to mess up threading for all of you.. (And I
really prefer discussion-focused lists to have reply-to set to the
list but I know that is a question of religious debates in some
circles so let's leave it.)

> I did some research into this and much to my dismay found literally
> thousands of sites that used the maxlength="" attribute on <input
> type="file"> controls (and some of those sites had hundreds of thousands
> of pages that did it, like http://spotlight.de/).

Thought so.. :-(

> I've dropped the maxlength attribute from type="file". We can revisit
> whether to add the feature again using some other attribute in WF3.

I think it's a good decision if you really definitely don't want to
add new attributes at this point in the WF2 process. If it not too
late I'd still prefer just renaming it to "filesize" but it can
probably wait for WF3.

Thank you for paying such close attention to UA implementation
problems :-)
--
Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
http://www.hallvord.com/