[whatwg] [WF2] 6.2: maxlength Defintion - Grammatical Problems

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 3 06:08:15 PST 2005

Hi,
   In section 6.2, under the defintion of the maxlength attribute, the
current draft states [1]:

| Authors are encouraged to use maxlength on uri and email fields only
| if the server side processor actually has a limit on the size of data
| fields it can usefully process. Valid URIs and e-mail addresses in
| particular can often be surprisingly long.

I misread that several times as I was skimming through, thinking it
meant that using maxlength on uri and email fields was generally a good
thing.  I suggest you reverse it so that it makes a little more sense.
I think this would be better:

   Authors are _discouraged from using_ maxlength on uri and email fields
   _unless_ the server side processor actually has a limit on the size of
   data fields it can usefully process. Valid URIs and e-mail addresses
   in particular can often be surprisingly long.

Also, another grammatical error I came across several times throught the
draft is whenever it says "comply to", "complies to" or any other
variation.  The correct preposition to use is actually "with", not "to".
  Thus, they should read "comply with", "complies with", etc.

[1]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/2005-01-28-call-for-comments/#extensions0
--
Lachlan Hunt