[whatwg] Use IRI instead of URI

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Feb 7 14:47:48 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> > 2.5. Extensions to existing attributes
> >
> > Under 'maxlength': "Valid URIs and e-mail addresses in particular can
> > often be surprisingly long."
> >
> > I guess that should be IRI since it refers to the value |type="uri"| can
> > have.
>
> Should that be |type="iri"|??? Perhaps we should have both, with "uri"
> being an alias.

I believe type="uri" would be a lot easier for authors to understand. I
generally would suggest we stay away from aliases unless we have very
specific needs for them, because they are an implementation nightmare
(you have to deal with obscure problems like "what does the DOM |type|
attribute return?" and "how do you canonicalise the document?").