[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0

Olav Junker Kjær olav at olav.dk
Tue Feb 22 07:54:08 PST 2005

Matthew Raymond wrote:
>    Another problem, though, is the fact that user agents would have to
> support Document Object Model Range. That may be assumed as a result of
> the DOM2 requirement for WF2, but I'm not aware of anything else in WF2
> that requires DOM Range.

I thought that selectionStart, selectionEnd and setSelectionRange() were
part of the DOM Range, but they seem to be Mozilla-specific?

That means we have three different models for working with selections in
input fields: the IE way, the Mozilla way, and DOM Range.

Since DOM Range is already a standard there seems to be no point in
defining yet another standard in WHAT (except perhaps if the point was
to standardize on the IE way for backwards compatibility?)

Anyway, I dont think selections should be part of WF2, but rather WA1
where editing is defined, and I certainly think that the same interface
should be used for handling editing in form controls and in elements
with contentEditable.

Olav Junker Kjær