[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 - what does it extend , definition of same,relation to XForms, implementation reqs.

Bill McCoy bmccoy at adobe.com
Tue Jan 4 08:24:28 PST 2005

To be clear, I'm not hypothesizing a migration away from HTML for vanilla
"web page" content or simple web forms; I agree, it ain't gonna happen.

But the expressed charter of WHATWG is "applications", and in the web
application domain I claim that GMail is not an extreme example of what the
future holds for "Street HTML". It's simply a fact that if you head down the
web application path with the least-common-denominator of today's popular
browsers, and want to achieve any kind of rich user experience, you end up
in JavaScript-heavy scenarios, with little to know "semantics available in
HTML". I'm speaking from experience here: touch up a photo on Yahoo!Photos
or Ofoto and you will see another instance of ridiculous JavaScript that was
nevertheless necessary to get the job done. On a more mundane note, look at
the prevalent table abuse to create precise layouts. Inferring semantics
from fixed-layout HTML is challenging, never mind JavaScript. And migration
from HTML (and from traditional fat-client apps) in the rich app space is
already happening with XUL, Flash apps and other rich-client approaches, and
XAML is looming.

I do, however, agree with your expressed advantages of WF2 over XForms
(backwards compatibility, not requiring a switch to a new paradigm). These
same advantages applied to C++ wrt C, and I happen to personally believe C++
set the software industry back half a decade vs. if (say) Objective C had
won. It is no accident that C# is not backwards compatible with C, and the
technology was available to do far better (e.g. Mesa/Cedar, which
subsequently influenced Java:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=806844&jmp=abstract&dl=GUIDE&dl=ACM).
And in this case I think it's clear that "Street HTML" for building rich
interactive applications is an even worse starting point than C was for
building reliable, OO software.

The fact that Microsoft has already moved on from DHTML to XAML/Avalon
suggests that history may not repeat itself and I'd love to see us all
getting together to help create a unified standards-based approach to
building Web applications that can move the industry ahead, building on key
prior work (e.g. XHTML, SVG, XUL/XBL concepts, and, yes, XSLT and XForms)
rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Fundamentally, I fail to see why
enterprises should be expected to keep hacking applications onto HTML forms,
with or without WF2 extensions.

--Bill McCoy
Adobe Systems Incorporated
bmccoy at adobe.com