[whatwg] Wish: Restrict Image Size on Upload

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jan 6 09:12:17 PST 2005

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:08:49 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 what at keepthebyte.ch wrote:
> > >
> > > It would be useful to be able to define a bounding box of allowed
> > > picture width and height when uploading picture(s). The UA would
> > > need to check if the selected picture(s) is/are inside the allowed
> > > range (min - max width & height). With picture I generally mean the
> > > internet widespread formats (png, gif, jpg).
> >
> > With the coming of high-resolution monitors, the pixel size of the
> > image will presumably become less important, as monitors will be
> > getting more pixels per centimeter.
>
> I don't see this as a given fact at all, firstly pixels are always
> relevant, not least because all the HTML user agents have appallingly
> bad image resizing abilities.

This is a problem with the UAs, though, not with the specs.

> Then there's the problem of small screen user agents, these obviously
> only sensibly need a raster of the size of the screen, there's no point
> having a "wallpaper" bigger than the screen.

I assume you are asserting that a use case for this feature is allowing
users to upload images of a specific size so that those images can then be
targetted at specific UAs for use as wallpapers?

If so, then it would seem to me that a better, more forward-looking design
for such a service would accept images of any size, the bigger the better,
and would then use high quality resampling to provide users with images of
the appropriate size for their device. Given the speed at which devices
evolve, this would be a much more long-term solution for such a service.