[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 - what does it extend , definition of same, relation to XForms, implementation reqs.

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 09:02:57 PST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:38:48 +0000 (GMT), J. Graham
<jg307 at hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Jim Ley wrote:
> > The problem with this argument is that you're pretty much saying "we
> > can't build a browser as good as IE"
>
>That has nothing to do with whether the competition is better or
> not. Your statement is a good example of ignoring the context of
> technology and blindly assuming that success or faliure is based entirely
> on technical merit.

I'm disappointed you got that impression, that's actually the opposite
of what I was trying to get across, as soon as I read it back after
posting I was disappointed with how it sounded.  The non-IE user
agents represented here are all really good user agents, however in
the specific situation of extensibility with just scripting, they're
pretty weak (with the exception of mozilla of course) and rather than
giving us some elements that we can go away and implement using the
extensibility mechanisms of IE.  I'd much rather see the effort spent
purely in developing extensibility mechanisms in all the user agents,
then we could achieve the same as Web Forms 2.0, and more.

I'm disappointed that the developers of 3 very good browsers are
wasting their time tweaking things around the edges of things that
scripters can already do, when there are already many interesting
technologies out there they could be implementing instead.

Jim.