[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 - what does it extend , definition of same,

Brad Fults bfults at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 10:15:20 PST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:56:11 +0000, Jim Ley <jim.ley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I ask when you'll make the move, how many WF2 clients will your
> users need to have for you to consider using it?  How much additional
> bandwidth and server processing will you accept?  How many annoyed
> customers will you accept when your site doesn't perform as well as
> all your competitors?

You seem to be completely missing the point that WF2 support is not
required for the same user experience that you get right now from any
given site. The whole point is that nothing will be taken away from
what is currently supplied by web authors. Users can stick with
whatever browser they have right now and experience no loss--they will
just miss out on some gain.

Also, I would submit that users of Firefox, Opera, and Safari are more
conscious of updates and will upgrade voluntarily (or if urged by an
update manager), so delivery of the technology is not a problem.

As far as wasting time on WF2 instead of XUL or whatever else: you
make the very large assumption that if those technologies were fully
integrated into Opera and Safari, they would indeed be used by a large
percentage of web authors. I think this assumption is extremely
optimistic and does not reflect past trends of technology adoption.
Remember, we're talking about Web Forms 2.0, not Web Applications
1.0--that's a different spec entirely.

--
Brad Fults
NeatBox