[whatwg] Re: imestate proposal

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jan 21 03:56:12 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Masayuki Nakano wrote:

> I think that Web Forms should have a way to active or deactive for IME.
> The function is same as WinIE's ime-mode property.
> It is different for inputmode attribute.
> Because inputmode attribute is the filter of key input.
> But my proposal function is not it.

I don't understand the difference between inputmode="" and your proposal.

> The 'imestate' attribute.
> The attribute have following values.
> 'auto'
>   When the input element or textarea element get focus,
>   UA should care the IME active state suitable
>   for the input element or textarea.
>   e.g., If the input element is password field, UA should be disable IME.
>   otherwise, UA should not change the active state.

This is the default (i.e. it's what UAs should be doing anyway).

> 'active'
>   When the input element or textarea element get focus,
>   UA should activate IME.

This is what should happen if you explicitly set inputmode="".

> 'inactive'
>   When the input element or textarea element get focus,
>   UA should inactivate IME.

This is equivalent to inputmode="user" (as far as I can tell).

> 'enabled'
>   When the input element or textarea element get focus,
>   UA does not care the IME state.

This is what should happen if the user disables Web page control over the
IME system. (I don't really understand the use case for the author being
able to set this.)

> 'disabled'
>   On the input element or textarea element, user cannot use IME.

I don't understand think the Web page should be able to override the
user's control over whether he can use IME at all or not.

Could you explain how your proposal differs from inputmode=""? I'm afraid
I'm not very familiar with these issues.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Masayuki Nakano wrote:

> Name(Kanji): <input type="text" imestate="active" />
> Name(Kana): <input type="text" imestate="active" />
> Tel: <input type="text" imestate="disabled" />
> Memo: <textarea imestate="auto" />

This would be written:

   Name(Kanji): <input type="text" inputmode="kanji" />
   Name(Kana): <input type="text" inputmode="katakana" />
   Tel: <input type="text" inputmode="latin digits" />
   Memo: <textarea inputmode="user predictOn" />

How does this not address your requirements?