[whatwg] Publishing another Web Forms 2 Call For Comments soon

Dean Edwards dean at edwards.name
Sat Jan 29 19:35:03 PST 2005

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Dean Edwards wrote:
>
>>a global attribute also makes it harder to implement on IE6 where you
>>would have to walk the DOM to find repetition blocks.
>

> Actually the definition of how the repetition model works is such that you
> don't have to walk anything more than the parent chain of the repetition
> template, and that applies to all UAs. So I don't see why implementing
> this in IE would be any harder than anywhere else, at least not in so far
> as the global attribute goes.
>
> http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#repetitionModel

you are assuming that the person who is implementing wf2 is attaching
the HTCs. that is one way i guess. by this i mean that they use
something like this is CSS:

tr.repeat {
   behavior: url(/wf2/repeat.htc);
}

to make an implementation invisible a single WF2 "include" (a style
sheet or JS library) should handle attaching the behaviors. because this
is a global attribute (any element can be a repetition block) you'd have
to walk the DOM to find those elements with the "repeat" attribute set.
we'd have to do something like this in CSS (thanks Olav):

* {
behavior:expression((this.repeat)?"url(repetitionElement.htc)":"");
display: expression((this.repeat=="template")?"none":this.display);
}

this is not a big issue for me Ian. the expressions above will work
fine. they can be tweaked to stop them endlessly evaluating (a problem
with expressions).

cheers,
-dean