[whatwg] Re: several messages

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 09:44:52 PST 2005

Ian Hickson wrote:

>>I haven't been following all the discusion about date formats but,
>>subject to that proviso, this construct alone (without any inheritance
>>of attributes) seems to address the major concern that has been raised
>>about the datetime types (lack of a decent way of providing fallback). A
>>WF2 UA would simply display:none all children of the dateinput element.
>>

>It has problems, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread:
>
> * It is easy for authors to not include any fallback, which makes it
>   worse than the <input> equivalent.

In general, it is easy to make WF2 pages incompatible with older browsers.

> * The fallback and non-fallback controls have different names.

Why is that a problem? Would it not be a simple if construct on the
server side to deal with the two cases?

> * The datetime types don't really need comprehenive fallback, given
>   that the three cases that they could replace are:
>     1. Text inputs, which would be improved, not hurt, by the new types,

True.

>     2. <select> controls, which do not need to be replaced at all,

If that's really true, then all the date types seem a little pointless.
I thought that one of the advantages of the WF2 controls was allowing
sites to present a consistent, OS-specific interface to form controls.
If multiple select controls are as good a solution, there seems little
point in implementing or using WF2.

> and
>     3. Complex JS widgets, for which declarative fallback is not needed.

Why not? If one is replacing a javascript control with a WF2 control,
one can improve the accessibility of one's page further by providing
simple controls for legacy clients (this would be equivalant to say,
producing a CSS based design and allowing old browsers to recieve
unstyled content v using a table based design and blocking old browsers
entirely).

>...not to mention the extra complexity and the implementation difficulty
>compared to just using a new "type".

Really? Obviously you're much more familiar with the browser engines
than I am but I'm not sure that this is obviously difficult to
implement. At least not obviously a lot more difficult than WF2 datetime
controls are anyway. Is there something specific that browsers will
struggle to cope with?

--
"But if science you say still sounds too deep,
Just do what Beaker does, just shrug and 'Meep!'"

-- Dr. Bunsen Honeydew & Beaker of Muppet Labs