[whatwg] showModalDialog

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 02:52:25 PDT 2005

Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen wrote:

>On 1 Jul 2005 at 11:44, Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
>

>>Concerning recent thread about modal and modeless windows, did anyone
>>mention showModalDialog already?
>>
>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/showmodaldialog.asp
>>
>>I believe this functionality does come in handy in some cases.
>>Microsoft wouldn't have implemented it if there wasn't any demand?

Just because there was demand doesn't mean that it was a good idea. (the
demand was almost certianly from people developing desktop aopplications
with HTML UIs. In this case the objections to modal windows are much
less strong).

>One of the reasons why modal popup-windows are a very bad feature in
>a browser is that, unlike a desktop application, you don't really
>know what other pages you prevent the user from accessing by throwing
>up a modal dialog. To go with the address book example from the
>a modal window pops up, I want to go to the tab where my E-mail lives
>to copy the address I wanted to put in my address book and ... ouch,
>can't get to the E-mail because I use an integrated browser/mail
>client application and the modal dialog blocks access to all the
>tabs.

Indeed. Presumably developers would have to implement a system whereby a
modal dialog was only modal with respect to the opening tab (and any
other tab/window that was also opened by that tab). This would create a
totally alien interaction model where clicking on a tab in the browser
could focus that tab or could focus an entirely different window.

--
"But if science you say still sounds too deep,
Just do what Beaker does, just shrug and 'Meep!'"

-- Dr. Bunsen Honeydew & Beaker of Muppet Labs