[whatwg] Web Forms as data schema language

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jul 7 05:05:44 PDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

> On 7/6/05, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>
> > It isn't a data schema language (although I suppose HTML has been
> > abused for worst things).
>
> Why not?

The same reason it isn't a spreadsheet language: making it one wasn't one
of the goals of designing the language. :-)

> And what does abuse have anything to do with this?

HTML has traditionally and frequently been used for purposes other than
its original purpose. For example, using it as a layout language, or using
it for describing applications (although we are now turning HTML around so
that this latter case is in fact appropriate).

HTML could be used for describing a schema; it just wasn't designed to do
so, and thus would probably not be the best language to use for that.