[whatwg] [WA1] Meta Element Syntax

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jul 7 06:52:10 PDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, fantasai wrote:

> Two points:
>
>   1. The 'scheme' attribute from HTML 4 is missing. If there's
>      a reason for this, please include a note stating the reason
>      for removal (and thereby make the removal explict). Note that
>      certain metadata formats (e.g. Dublin Core) do seem to be
>      using this attribute.

Nothing has been "removed". HTML5 is effectively a new language, which
just happens to be backwards compatible with HTML4. Only features that
have well-defendable reasons to exist, along with solid use cases, are
being added to the spec.

People will be encouraged to write documents listing the differences
between HTML5 and older versions of HTML, XHTML, and the HTML DOM when
HTML5 is stable, but there's no way HTML5 can include this information as
it would be a massive undertaking (only a small fraction of the hundreds
of elements, attribute, properties, methods, and interfaces that could be
included in the name of backwards-compatibility are being included).

>   2. Your recommendation not to give character encoding information
>      inline is in direct conflict with the recommendations of the
>      W3C I18N GEO WG:
> http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-character.html#ri20040215.101337371
>      I hope that by the time this spec goes last call you are all
>      in agreement as to what advice you want to give web authors
>      wrt this issue.

I'm sure we'll always be able to find conflicting recommendations. :-)