[whatwg] Input type=date UI discussion

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:39:44 PDT 2005

On 7/12/05, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> > On 7/12/05, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:
> Well the customisation is just colours and chrome style. We'll attempt
> to guess the chrome style and replicate it. What I really mean is that
> we are copying the windows controls in terms of layout and the way they
> respond to keyboard/mouse events.

There is no consistent response to keyboard and mouse events in
windows, it's customisable.  Please do not make the mistake that
Mozilla made for the first 2 years of its life where its menus were
unusable on windows if they'd changed the mouse configuration.
Windows window manager customisation is not just look.

> > You should either use the windows common controls, or you should have
> > something that cannot be confused for the normal controls.
>
> Yeah. We are copying the windows common controls.

As I say, please use them, or doing something different, copying
something and getting it only 90% right (which is all that is
practical as if you're doing this with zero install, that's all you
have access to) then it's worse than being completely different.

> I said anything *in* the popup window.

Yes, I understand that, I fail to see why a popup month view should
not be usable by the assistive technologies, and more importantly how
will you know what assistive technologies are being used?  I'll say
again AIUI, certain input modes and screen reading type things require
a window to have focus to work.   This is just my understanding, but
I'm reasonably confident of it.

> The WF2 controls for IE will all
> be operable by keyboard. Think of a <select> box. The individual options
> are not focusable but they are navigable.

The control has focus, just like in windows, the common date control
gains focus.

> > So Enter in a text box should submit a form, the same as if it was an
> > input type=text?  Is this in the spec?
> >

> What are you asking? A text box should behave like a text box?

It's not a text box, it's an input type=datetime (say), I'm asking is
if that should act the same as a text box w.r.t. to enter submitting
the form?

Jim.