[whatwg] Input type=date UI discussion

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 12:08:55 PDT 2005

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Dean Edwards wrote:
> > Jim wrote:
> > > It's not a text box, it's an input type=datetime (say), I'm asking is
> > > if that should act the same as a text box w.r.t. to enter submitting
> > > the form?
> >
> > I think that is what it says in the spec. Ian?
>
> I don't really know what Jim meant (his question isn't comprehensible
> English) but at a guess, if he was asking whether pressing Enter in a date
> field should cause submission, that is up to the UA, as is IMHO quite
> clearly stated in the spec:
>
>   http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#enter-submit

Nope, this only talks about TEXT controls, it doesn't mention date
controls, the phrase "submitting a form implicitly" isn't defined
other than by the one example.

For example does my user agent which submits form purely under
programmitic control with no user keyboard action required to fire the
click event or not?  I'd say that was submitting the form implicitly
more so than pressing enter in a text field.

Jim.

ps (Sorry Dean!)