[whatwg] Some likeness of DOM Session scope

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jul 17 17:11:03 PDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Brad Neuberg wrote:

> Something along these lines that would be useful is control over what
> goes into the history (and what affects the back button) and what
> _doesn't_.  Alot of times I shoot off RPC type functions using
> XmlHttpRequest that I _dont_ want in the history, since they wouldnt be
> appropriate for the back button, and other times I want the back button
> to be affected.

Ok, I recently added something to the spec that should help with this.
Namely, the window.history.pushState() method and the onpopstate="" event
handler.

   http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-session

The spec is a bit terse right now, but it should address what you
mentioned. I'm sure we'll write more developer-friendly docs in due
course (like, when it's more stable!).

HTH,