[whatwg] WA1: <meta> attribute requirements

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 19 04:53:21 PDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, fantasai wrote:

> > I don't understand the point in making this code:
> >
> >    // this element will be used later
> >    var meta = document.createElement('meta');
> >
> > ...non-conformant.
>
> Hmm. I think you need to think a bit on the conformance requirements you
> want to have for documents. If you're interpreting "required" like that,
> you'd run into the same problem with *any* required attribute or child
> content. It's not a useful definition.

I don't understand why this is a "problem". It seems quite important that
content be conformant whether it is in a document or orphaned. If someone
does:

   // this element will be used later
   var ul = document.createElement('ul');
   ul.appendChild(document.createElement('p'));

...then the |ul| variable is non-conformant, and I see no reason to allow
that at all, scripted or not scripted.