[whatwg] [html5] window.print() undefined

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 19 05:08:20 PDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Dean Edwards wrote:

> > If you do something during print preview, you're making big
> > assumptions about the UI model. (e.g. that it is synchronous).
>
> Fair enough. But in all the browsers I've tried when "Print Preview" is
> selected the normal browser window disappears and is replaced with a new
> window to show the preview. This is not instantaneous. The WHATWG takes
> notice of real-world browsers does it not?

Of course, but it is critical that we don't remove the possibility for
innovation in UI design. See, for instance, the great lengths I do to in
the window.history section to avoid requiring the UA to have a linear
history UI. We could have just said it had to be linear and mapped the
history button straight onto window.history; after all there is no browser
worth speaking of that does non-linear history. But then we'd have blocked
important UI potential.