[whatwg] [html5] attribute value whitespace handling

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 19 06:29:16 PDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> What kind of input type is the following according to HTML 5:
>
>  <input type="   email
> ">

WF2 doesn't define this (intentionally). Extrapolating from HTML4 it would
be of type "email"; which is probably what WA1 will eventually say.

> According to the attribute value rules of HTML 4 it should be 'email',
> but I'm not sure how that is implemented at the moment. Similar question
> for:
>
>  <input type="email" value="    example at example.org
>     ">
>
> ... valid or invalid?

The form control there would not be valid. There's nothing in either HTML4
or WF2 that says that leading whitespace on the value="" attribute should
de stripped, as far as I can tell.

> As Web Forms 2 extends on HTML 4 at the moment this is not particularly
> clear and it would be nice to know.

The problem is that this is a slippery slope that I don't really want to
go down with WF2. I agree that these things should be defined and I'll
make sure that they are in WA1.