[whatwg] [html5] onbeforeprint/onafterprint (was window.print() undefined)

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 15:22:25 PDT 2005

On 7/19/05, J. Graham <jg307 at hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Jim Ley wrote:
>
> > Someone will probably suggest CSS background-images as a suitable for
> > this aswell, yet again ignoring the fact that CSS is _optional_, and
> > content-images must not be in background images as they simply won't
> > be seen without CSS or if background images are disabled.
>
> Er.. script is (in practice) at least as optional as CSS since more people
> actually disable script than use alternate stylesheets.

Yes and no, we can only make these changes to the content with script
so a script print solution is acceptable, for example in the above
example the static non-scripted document would not have any of this
media specific content in, it would only be added with script when
appropriate, that way the media specific nature can be relied upon -
the script is unobtrusive.  CSS however is optional at the fine
grained level.

Jim.