[whatwg] [wf2] case-insensitive is not defined in terms of Unicode

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 22 04:27:31 PDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, fantasai wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> > From:
> >  <http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#methodAndEnctypes>
> > # The value of the enctype attribute must be dispatched using a
> > # case-insensitive literal comparison.
> >
> > What exactly does this mean, in terms of Unicode?
>
> The syntax for content types allows US-ASCII only, so Unicode case
> mapping [1], which defines case-insensitive matching for Unicode
> strings, is irrelevant.

You're assuming that all enctype attributes are conformant. There is no
reason to assume that.

Also, case-insensitive has to be defined either way, we might as well use
a generic definition that works for everything (even if for some
attributes it can be implemented in a more optimised fashion).

> [1] http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr21/

TR #21 is obsolete in Unicode 4.x.