[whatwg] [wf2] disabled default submit button

Kornel Lesinski kornel at ideadesigners.com
Wed Jul 27 04:45:21 PDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:03:04 +0100, Anne van Kesteren
<fora at annevankesteren.nl> wrote:

>> In both situations all non disabled form controls are submitted.
>>
>> With (1) Opera and Firefox seem to be following the Web Forms 2
>> specification,
>> but with (2) none of the browsers seem to be compliant.
>
> So Firefox is compliant, Opera is buggy and IE is non-conformant.

I don't think that's a bug in Opera. That is design choice: in Opera
'default' submit button is dependent on which element has focus. Opera
uses first submit button that is after currently focused element.

This makes a lot of sense on forms like:

<select> <input submit value="confirm selection">
<input file> <input submit value="upload this file">
<input text>
<input submit vaule="submit and go elsewhere">

In Opera after you fill each option and hit enter logical and useful
action happens.
If default submit button was always the first button, hitting enter would
never end form, and you would be 'stuck' on the first one.

I find Opera's solution very useful and I think it would be shame if Opera
was made conformant with less sophisticated specification of default
submit button in WF2.

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski