[whatwg] [html5] DI element

Mikko Rantalainen mikko.rantalainen at peda.net
Thu Mar 10 08:23:52 PST 2005

Rob Mientjes wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:58:33 +0100, Anne van Kesteren
> <fora at annevankesteren.nl> wrote:
>
>>The advantage of DI is that it allows grouping of definitions and
>
> Well, I'm not sure if it's not already clear that, without a
> definition term, there can be no new definition descriptions. It is on
> the same route as the SECTION element for XHTML 2.0, which allows you
> to group elements, but I doubt it it is of much use. Example:
>
> <h2>Heading
> automatically start with a new heading, not with another paragraph
>
> I think it's kinda double. But hey, maybe I'm missing something?

How about the following example (doesn't nicely fit the western document
authoring style, but anyway):

	HEADING1

	This is a paragraph related to heading 1.

	This is a paragraph related to heading 1.

		HEADING 1.1

		This is a paragraph related to heading 1.1.

		This is a paragraph related to heading 1.1.

	This is a paragraph related to heading 1.

	This is a paragraph related to heading 1.

(text indented to show the logical structure)

SECTION element is able to describe structures like this, H1-H6 isn't.

I support including both SECTION and DI. But if SECTION isn't required,
I cannot see why DI should be required.

--
Mikko