[whatwg] [wf2] 2.3. Changes to existing controls - radio buttons

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Mar 21 04:44:54 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > The UA should not be required to provide such an ability. All radio
> > buttons being unchecked in a group is an error condition. However if
> > the UA wants to provide it, that's a UA thing.
>
> It is in error? Let me quote something:
>
> # Radio buttons in sets where none of the buttons are marked as checked
> # must all be initially left unchecked by the UA (which differs from
> # the behavior described in [RFC1866], but more accurately represents
> # common implementation and author needs).

That's a UA requirement, and doesn't have any bearing on whether something
is an error or not.

The next bit says: "Authors are recommended to always have one radio
button selected. Having no radio buttons selected is considered very poor
UI." which I guess means it's not really an error condition, but it is
close to it.

> If you allow them to be unchecked initially and a user accidently checks
> one which needs to be unchecked for that particular user he/she has a
> problem. The current description would allow that to happen.

Yes. Like it says: it's poor UI. Authors shouldn't do it.