[whatwg] [WF2] Objection to autocomplete Attribute

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 21 06:54:56 PST 2005

James Graham wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>Then, please at least deprecate it.  If it's only being defined to
>>help with interopable implementations, that's fine, but it's use
>>should be discouraged as much as possible, therefore it should be
>>deprecated.
>
> What the WHATWG spec says on this matter is irrelevant; browsers will
> implement whatever the banks dictate. As Hixie says, the spec only
> serves the purpose of documenting an accepted standard. Therefore, I
> really don't think it's worth any more time discussing this attribute.

    Actually, now that I think about it, why do we need to have a spec
saying that it's not depreciated or that it should be non-trivial to
deactivate if the banks are going to blackmail UAs to support it? Why
support blackmail through our specifications. If banks force them to
implement a specific attribute in a specific way, fine, but don't force
user agents to do it that way as a matter of spec compliance.