[whatwg] [wf2] 1.9. Conformance requirements

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Tue Mar 22 03:21:09 PST 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 11:04, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I was wondering how "These XML documents may contain a DOCTYPE if
> desired, but this is not required." would be possible. Especially
> since the repition model requires the use of attributes of type ID and
> xml:id is not yet REC.

Well, the CSS id selector is possible even though Mozilla, Opera and
Safari do not process a DTD with ID declarations.

> It could be solved by either adding a line how the attribute named
> 'id' in the null namespace when applied to an element in the XHTML
> namespace should be treated (as type ID)

This is the way to go (except from the terminology point of view "not
in a namespace" is the correct way of putting it).

> or adding a DOCTYPE (DTD) that defines that.

Processing the DTD in an interactive UA makes no sense from the
performance point of view. Please, let's shun any "solutions" that
involve DTDs. DTDs are a problem--not a solution.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/