[whatwg] WF2 changes: uri->url, ERROR_* constants dropped; status update

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Mar 23 05:49:43 PST 2005

FYI, I just made two changes to the WF2 spec that have been requested
multiple times. I had previously objected to making the changes but I was
clearly in the minority with my opinions. :-)

The type="uri" input type is now type="url", for consistency with CSS.

I dropped the various ERROR_* constants. Validity checking is now done
only with the |validity| object. I also renamed all its members to be more
obvious. For instance, you now say:

   if (control.validity.valueMissing) ...
   if (control.validity.tooLong) ...

To check if any flags are set you can now do:

   if (!control.validity.valid) ...

Since these changes almost certainly introduced editorial mistakes, we
will have one more call for comments (in about a week or two) before the
call for implementations goes out.

NOTE: Other than the three issues listed in the "Status of this document"
section (the <dataentry> proposal, the question of whether the repetition
model is needed at all, and the div-form-inline content model issue) I am
not aware of any outstanding issues on the WF2 specification.

If you are still waiting for a reply to a comment on the WF2 spec, I
apologise but it appears I have lost it. (Either that, or I classified it
as a WA1 comment or a process comment.) I do not think I lost any, but if
you think I have, please resend them if you want to receive a reply.