[whatwg] Repetition Model

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Mar 24 09:10:33 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Jim Ley wrote:

> but in that case they will also have to make sure that the browser
> doesn't already provide a WF2 implementation, and we've yet to find a
> way to do that...  It is very easy to extend IE in user stylesheets or
> similar to provide WF2 functionality, it doesn't and IMO shouldn't be
> down to the page author.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but note that one of the
fundamental principles that WHATWG is built on is that we can't rely on
the user installing plugins and the like. Getting them to update their
user stylesheet is even harder than getting them to install a plugin.
IMHO, having the author add in a line to a prewritten script is fine.

But like I said, you are naturally entitled to disagree. Thankfully, this
doesn't affect the spec -- so long as it is implementable, it doesn't
matter if the implementation is installed by the user or the author.