[whatwg] Text support in <canvas>

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Thu Nov 3 11:33:07 PST 2005

Quoting James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk>:
>> The introduction of the <canvas> is a GREAT start for higher quality
>> graphics on the clientside. But whats missing is support for text
>> rendering. Text is as important an element of graphics as the drawn
>> shapes.
>
> Allowing text in <canvas> has serious accessibility problems.
> Presumably such text would not be resizable and encouraging authors
> to use non-resizable text in their web-apps is not a good idea. I
> guess there would also be (separate) issues with fonts; one assumes
> font substitution on a bitmap drawing would be more problematic than
> font substitution where the text is the main content.

Another problem is that, since html:canvas does not have a DOM, the actual
content is not really accessible. However, I have seen people having to use
images with the alphabet inside html:canvas to get simple text effects. Making
that easier might be nice. (But addressing fonts, line-height, etc. might be
difficult.)

Yeah, I believe so, see <http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-VML-19980513>.

--
Anne van Kesteren