[whatwg] web-apps - TCPConnection

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sun Nov 6 02:39:29 PST 2005

On Oct 18, 2005, at 06:14, S. Mike Dierken wrote:

> Okay. Outbound messages are obviously not a problem. Accepting
> unsolicited
> inbound messages isn't feasible (& the unsolicited part is an
> invitation to
> spam). Having the client initiate the connection & then receiving/
> responding
> to inbound requests is what it sounds like you would need.
> If the browser had an HTTP daemon built-in, would that work?

A HTTP daemon in the browser is not strictly required.

Rumor (which I have not verified) has it that there are successful IP
over HTTP implementations for the purpose of circumventing strict
corporate firewalls. An HTTP client behind the firewall issues
requests to an accomplice HTTP server outside the firewall which
routes the IP packets to and from the Internet. Outbound packets are
POSTed to the server. The server sends inbound packets in the
response stream of the most recent POST. The responses are closed on
the server only upon seeing the next POST request.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/