[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Nov 28 12:40:05 PST 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Ian Bicking wrote:

> I think <select> isn't a very good basis for menus.  Current (good)
> DHTML menus are richer than selects allow for, with things like nested
> menus.  That can't be simulated with selects.

Sure. As you point out, though, if the author is willing to do the leg
work would probably be quite possible to take whatever markup we describe
as being the <menu> markup and use it for DHTML menus.

The reason I suggested that we should allow for easy fallback onto
<select> is that for the menu-button use case, it's very easy to implement
that kind of menu using <select> (and is done often today), and so it
would allow for a seamless fallback (if we do it right).