[whatwg] Disclosure: Change of employer

Rimantas Liubertas rimantas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 04:54:28 PDT 2005

> Although microsoft.com is valid, they don't really care about standards
> that much.  The site uses an HTML 4.0 Transitional DOCTYPE that triggers
> quirks mode.

Well, when site goes from hundreds of validation errors to valid page
I wouldn't dare to say
company doesn't care about standards. I'd call it an improvement.

I do not see a problem with Transitional DOCTYPE - it is a part of the
standards.
At least they honestly adhere to what they declare - in that sense I
prefer valid HTML Transitional to invalid XHTML.

This is not to say that microsoft.com code is perfect, but I
appreciate progress they have made (and MSN Search uses HTML4.01
strict).

On the other hand Google is also fair - they do not declare any
DOCTYPE, so technically they admit their code to be tag-soup. It is
better than making false claims putting some DOCTYPE into code without
any intention to validate.

There are many technical subtleties, but please in mind my initial
point - to show people who encounter web standards maybe for the first
time that some big names _do care_
about web standards. If such giants as MS and Google both care that
may encourage
some web developer to pay more attention too.

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rimantas.com/