[whatwg] [WA1] <ol type=a> is semantic

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Oct 12 09:11:40 PDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, James Graham wrote:

> Getting a decent backwards compatibility story seems, uh, non-trivial at
> the least. Of course this is true of CSS3 generated content as well but
> that doesn't seem to bother people so much...

I like your idea. I don't know that there realy is a back-compat problem,
we could just say that it accepts text content, so you could write:

   above</p>

...until such time as enough browsers support <ref> that you don't worry
anymore; since the answer number is (at least in this case) just
additional information (the answer is given right there too) it isn't a
huge problem if it is lost.

It would be nice to have an even better back-compat story, e.g. if it
worked in current browsers without JS, but I don't see anything that can
help us there (it's not like how <input type="number"> can fall back onto
type="text" in legacy UAs).

BTW I'd be tempted to suggest that the attribute on <ref> be for="" and
that it take an IDREF rather than a URI, to avoid any chance that people
might try to refer to things in other documents and expect it to work, and
also for consistency with <label for=""> and <output for=""> -- what do
you think?