[whatwg] <a href="" ping="">

S. Mike Dierken mike at dierken.com
Fri Oct 21 23:41:25 PDT 2005

> > Oh, that really shouldn't be done via POST. Clicking a link should be
> > safe and sending a POST as a side-effect is not safe.
>
> GET means that you can do it again without affecting
> anything. In the case of tracking, you can't -- the very act
> of contacting that tracking URI can cost someone money. Hence
> POST. (This is another advantage of ping over redirects, come
> to think of it.)
Since it isn't costing the /user/ any money, aren't those server
side-effects immaterial?

GET means that you can do it again, and you don't affect anything - two
separate concepts.
PUT and DELETE means that you can do it again (the final result is the
same), and you may affect something.
POST means you can't do it again, and you may affect something.

It still seems dangerous, but I can't come up with a valid scenario. Party
on.