[whatwg] <a href="" ping="">

ROBO Design robodesign at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 02:53:25 PDT 2005

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:38:05 +0300, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, James Graham wrote:
<...>

> Can you list some? Other than redirects, I couldn't actually think of any
> reliable ones. XMLHttpRequests dispatched in tandem with the original
> request are unreliable since you can't guarentee which order the requests
> are sent in (and thus some clicks might get lost). What else is there?

XMLHttpRequest in syncronized mode should do the trick. Just wait until
the request is done, then go to the URL. It's easy, it can be done today.

Yet, as with any other thing in this world, there's a "gotcha".
XMLHttpRequest in syncronized mode doesn't currently work properly in
Gecko-based browsers (causes entire browser freeze until it's finished).
It works in Opera, but I haven't tested with IE. Gladly, the bug has been
fixed in the upcoming Firefox 1.5.

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future