[whatwg] Pattern Hint

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Oct 30 11:44:35 PST 2005

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> >>Take your demo for example. Suppose you want both pattern hints and
> >>tooltips in the legacy code. In that case, you'd want the code to
> >>degrade to something like this for an HTML 4.01 user agent:

> > That's a date field. pattern="" doesn't apply to those.
>
> First of all, it's a pattern hint, no the |pattern| attribute.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. I was under the impression that "pattern hint"
was the term used to describe the hint for when there is a pattern
attribute. When there is no "pattern" attribute the UA isn't going to be
doing anything special with patterns so you can put the information on
expected patterns anywhere you like.

Since it seems we have been talking at cross-purposes here, could you
explain what your issue or proposal is?

> > For other fields, I don't see the problem. Just put the format in the
> > tooltip as well.
>
> We've already discussed why you can't put pattern hints in tooltips.

I meant, as well as wherever else you put it. There's nothing wrong with
putting it twice. The "title" attribute on elements with "pattern" is used
for more than tooltips when the UA supports "pattern".

> >>[<altinput>]
> >
> > I think we've already discussed this to death. :-)
>
>    No we haven't. You never even replied to the message I posted about
> <altinput>. You're thing about <dataentry>, and considering I created
> <altinput> specifically to address concerns you had with <dataentry>, I
> find your comment a bit insulting.

My bad. I have <altinput> on my WF3 list (because you put WF3 in its
subject line). I haven't looked at any of the mails about suggestions for
WF3 yet. I will in due course, fear not.

When I said "we've already discussed this to death" above I was refering
to <dataentry>, I hadn't realised <altinput> refered to your WF3 proposal.

No offence intended.