[whatwg] [WA1] The a element could be empty

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 08:14:34 PDT 2005

On 9/3/05, Simon Pieters <zcorpan at hotmail.com> wrote:
> |If the a element has no href attribute, then the element is a placeholder
> |for where a link might otherwise have been placed, if it had been relevant.
>
> Why must a placeholder have contents?

because a link requires contents.  There's no need for empty a
elements, they add nothing that an author cannot otherwise do.

> I merely want a blank <a/> to be allowed, if
> the href attribute is not set.

You've only provided one use case, and it's not a good use case, as
you can just as easily create the a element as have it in the source
in the first place, it's much better to do that.

> I don't want to hide it, I want it to be non existent when scripting is
> disabled or non-supported.

It's not non-existent though, it's there...
> >4) What prevents you from inserting the entire <a> element into a <span>?
>
> It's more code, and an empty <a/> is IMHO equally harmful as an empty

There's no need for an empty SPAN, you don't need any empty elements
at all, there is almost no more code (a createElement and appendChild
instead of a gEBI) and it's much neater, that's certainly not enough
of a difference to make a difference.

> |  <script>
> |   var elm = document.getElementById("sel");
> |   elm.appendChild(document.createTextNode("select all"));
> |   elm.href = "javascript:selectall()";
> |   function selectall(){...}
> |  </script>

No, please stop suggesting href="javascript:   this shows you're
scripting experience is quite limited, the above fails in a number of
browsers simply because the href: will result in a navigation, even if
a null navigation which will unselect the text anyway.   The total
length of the code withotut the a in the source is also shorter, so
this is not a use case.

Jim.