[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 - Suggestion/Request

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Sep 1 09:28:40 PDT 2005

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Dwight Brown wrote:

> I have been reviewing the Web Forms 2.0 specification and really like
> the many advancements it outlines.

Great!

> There is, however, one area in which it appears to overlook: file upload
> status.
>
> As a web developer I believe it would be very helpful to have some way
> to indicate the progress of file uploads.  There is really only one key
> addition for this to be possible: a filesize attribute that is set when
> a user has selected a file.  This would simply indicate the total size
> in bytes of the selected file.  It would need to be DOM-accessible (e.g.
> myform.myfile.filesize).
>
> Many users get anxious and think there browser has hung because the is
> not a clear indication that an upload is in progress.
>
> Perhaps eventually we would have UAs that would have UI alerts that
> indicated form file upload progress via a progress bar, etc.

There is nothing stopping UAs from doing that now. I agree that it would
be better for UAs to report this to the user; I recommend raising the
issue with your browser vendor(s) directly.

Specifically, there doesn't seem to be anything that needs to be added to
the WHATWG spec to do this. It should just be automatic.

Cheers,