[whatwg] On tag inference

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Sun Sep 4 03:28:18 PDT 2005

Quoting Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi>:
> I think the latter approach should be chosen, because otherwise it
> would be impossible to extend HTML in the future with an element that
> can occur as a child of 'p'.

It would also not be compatible with the current web. So that would not be an
option at all.

> How should this list be augmented for HTML5? Eg. should a start tag
> for <section> close a paragraph?

I do not think that would be a good idea. Changing the HTML parser is not
something browser vendors tend to like. I think HTML5 should just require end
tags in certain circumstances. Or perhaps just require them for some elements,
like the P element.

> Should (in memory of HTML 4.01 Transitional) character data imply the
> start of body?

It should be non conforming, but it should be parsed that way. (Both
are should
for readability.)

Kind regards,

Anne