[whatwg] On tag inference

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sun Sep 4 12:23:57 PDT 2005

On Sep 4, 2005, at 19:46, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Quoting Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi>:
>
> You said yourself that any element other than a few known ones closes
> the HEAD
> element and implies a BODY element start tag.

So I did, but I now think my reasoning leading to that conclusion was
flawed. (I should have corrected myself on this mailing list earlier.)
If only a closed list of elements is allowed in HEAD, it will be
impossible to introduce extensions that occur as children of HEAD. An
explicit list of element starts that close HEAD would solve that
problem.

The implicit boundary of HEAD and BODY is a tricky issue with
open-ended extensions. I guess I'll have to examine browser behavior as
the next step.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi