[whatwg] [WA1] The a element could be empty

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 16:17:51 PDT 2005

On 9/5/05, Matthew Raymond <mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
>   None of which are obvious to the average user.

but quite obvious to people who use the IEAK to customise IE's for
corporate roll outs...

> > I never realised FF was so flawed, thanks for correcting me.
>
>   Is it a flaw?

Definately, if you disable stylesheets, you should disable
stylesheets, just disabling particular media ones is flawed.

> > I couldn't see the relevance of browsers which didn't support both, as
> > disabled CSS is equivalent for the purposes at discussion.
>
>   If having a Javascript-capable browser effectively means that you
> have a CSS-capable browser,

but it doesn't mean that... CSS is optional, as is javascript, there's
no relationship between the 2 things.  Don't fall in the trap of
thinking we're specifying things for the standard configurations of
current browsers - that's how you make the web more inaccessible for
people.

>then you don't need additional Javascript in
> order to hide the button when printing.

This has never been what I've been discussing - the hiding of the
button is when script is disabled or printing functionality not there
- it's got nothing to do with hiding the button when it is printed,
it's purely to do with not having a control on the screen which does
nothing.

>   I can't find that recommendation in CSS1.

It's at the end of section 7
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#css1-conformance

>As a matter of fact, I
> don't think CSS1 has media types or print-specific properties.

no, it's purely talking about disabling css.

Jim.