[whatwg] Re: getElementsByClassName

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Sep 5 17:45:10 PDT 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Dean Edwards wrote:

> > > It would be better to define that class names should not contain
> > > white space.
> >
> > Well, we can't really control that, I mean, other languages can invent
> > whatever they want (and frequently do).
>
> I thought we were controlling that. Isn't that what we are doing?

We're defining what "class" means for HTML(5), and what the behaviour of
getElemetsByClassName() in the DOM should be. But if someone invents
FooBarML that has classes with spaces in it, CSS will match them (for
example, ".a\ b"), and I don't see why getElementsByClassName should not
be capable of matching them given that it falls simply out of the current
definition.

However, this is all highly theoretical.