[whatwg] id and xml:id

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sun Apr 2 12:53:14 PDT 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 19:26, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I agree. Note also that the repetition template also allows for
> characters that
> are compatible with XML ID. Of course, this is only for valid
> documents... All
> things should still be defined in a way that they take into account
> invalid,
> yet well-formed, documents as well. (And HTML documents...)

I am interested in conforming DTD-invalid well-formed XHTML documents
and conforming HTML documents. I think that whatever is allowed as an
id attribute value in conforming HTML documents should also be
conforming as a value of an id attribute in XHTML (but not
necessarily conforming as an xml:id value) in order to allow XHTML-
serializability of conforming HTML docs.

(I am not interested in DTD-valid documents. I consider DTDs harmful.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/