[whatwg] id and xml:id

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Tue Apr 4 01:02:12 PDT 2006

On Apr 3, 2006, at 18:37, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> It appear that enabling ID/IDREF checking wreaks havoc with schemas
> that have not been written with this in mind.
>
> I have not yet assessed the extent of the damage, but it could turn
> out that ID/IDREF checking needs to go in a separate schema like
> exclusions.

I have now assessed the damage. It is not as bad as it looked like. :-)

Despite a flood of error messages, there were only three causes:
1) Can't have wild card attributes on wild card elements in the wild
card content models of the script and style elements. (Not a big
deal. It is reasonable to restrict them to known style and script
languages.)

2) Jing complains about the IDREFness altering co-occurrence
constraint between valuetype and value on the param element.

3) It appears that in RELAX NG an attribute can't be allowed to take
the empty string if the attribute has the IDREFS nature. This is a
problem with the form attribute.