[whatwg] <input type="text" accept="">

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Aug 15 03:09:15 PDT 2006

On Wed, 31 May 2006, James Graham wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > The Mozilla guys propose (in bug 339127) to make the accept="" attribute on
> > <input> elements also apply to types other than type=file, with the same
> > meaning as we currently have on <textarea>. Their particular use case is to
> > use this as a hook for showing or hiding the spell-check UI.
> >
> > What do people think? Good idea? Bad idea?
>
> Sounds like an ideal use-case. The spec should support this.

Many other people also replied on this thread.

Based on the various feedback, I've backed out from this now and we'll
just have an attribute per feature.

spellcheck="" won't be added to WF2, but it will probably be in HTML5.

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Michel Fortin wrote:

> Since you're reviewing this, I have some issues/commentary to I'd like
> to put to your attention:
>
> *  Very often, "HTML content" in a textarea is just a snippet, not
>    a full document. What should we expect of the content of an
>    <input> or a <textarea> with accept="text/html"?

No idea. We need implementation experience.

> *  Going a little further, should there be a way to tell which elements
>    are allowed and which are disallowed within an HTML snippet? I suppose
>    it may complicate things a little too much. But this remains one
>    of the things most often found around a textarea and, yet, there is no
>    semantical way of passing this useful information which could be used by
>    a potential "more appropriate editor" or to syntax highlighting. A way
>    of passing such things as parameters may be a good idea.

Yeah, there's a lot of requests for this.