[whatwg] input type="country"?

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Wed Aug 23 07:40:48 PDT 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:24:52 +0700, David Håsäther <hasather at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> But what if you use a browser with an old list, and your contry isn't
>>> listed. Or are you proposing that browsers download a list every time?

>> That could happen nowadays also, that a country isn't listed in the
>> select control. Indeed, I would think that the browser would keep up
>> with a list of available countries.

> Yes, this is why it's probably not a good idea to use a select list
> for contries, since there is a possibility that your country is not on
> the list.

Web Forms 2.0 provides a datalist element which can be used to supplement
a free-form text input with a list of suggested values.

Also, we should not forget that Web Forms 2.0 allows <datalist> and
<select> to have a "data" attribute which references an external list of
choices. Hosting the list of countries once per website seems like a good
solution.