[whatwg] Dynamic content accessibility in HTML today

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 10:36:53 PDT 2006

Matthew Raymond wrote:

So [snip]ping lots of stuff that is kinda interesting but not in a very relevant
way.

>    The language of the |role| specification is actually unclear. The
> intro indicates that |role| can be used to "describe the semantic
> meaning" of elements, while Section 3 says the following:
>
>    "It is used by applications and assistive technologies to determine
> the purpose of UI widgets."

OK, I think I hadn't appreciated just how vague the W3C document is. I propose
we standardise the following:

A role attribute which may appear on (only non-semantic?) elements to indicate
that that element is part of a DHTML widget and not marked-up prose. The role
attribute would not be namespaced (in HTML5, in XHTML5... well who knows). The
role attribute would take certain predefined values (not those on the W3C page
which are largely useless, e.g. banner, or otherwise covered in HTML5, e.g.
navlist) corresponding to the various types of UI widgets understood by the
accessibility toolkits. As far as possible we would stick to whatever Firefox
currently implements, but we would simplify the syntax where necessary (e.g.
avoid qnames wherever possible). Values outside the predefined list would make
the document non-conforming.

Does that sound reasonable or have I totally missed the point?