[whatwg] href on any element

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Mon Aug 28 02:33:43 PDT 2006

Ian Hickson wrote:
> It isn't always clear what it would mean, either (consider <col href="">,
> or <optgroup href="">).

If the feature were to be added to Web Apps 2.0 (or other future spec) I
think it would be sensible to limit it to inline, non-interactive,
non-empty elements (e.g. abbr, em, strong, etc.) and a few other
selected elements (e.g. li and td).  It should not apply to elements
like col, br, hr, input, select, etc.

> It's arguably a very minor improvement,

The only benefit I'm aware of is the convenience it provides to authors
for hand coding, but that benefit is negligible when you consider the
abilities of many authoring tools these days.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/